- Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States.
- The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
- More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.
- Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.
- A coastal live oak located near Fulton is the oldest tree in the state. The tree has an estimated age of more than 1,500 years.
- Austin is considered the live music capital of the world.
- The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.
- The capitol in Austin opened May 16, 1888. The dome of the building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.
- Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies.
- The armadillo is the official state mammal.
- More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States.
- The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden. It contains 38,000 rose bushes representing 500 varieties of roses set in a 22-acre garden.
- Amarillo has the world's largest helium well.
- The world's first rodeo was held in Pecos on July 4, 1883.
- Jalapeno pepper jelly originated in Lake Jackson and was first marketed in 1978.
Take the Texas Trivia Test - Click Here